A historic downtown Crothersville building is undergoing restoration to preserve the nearly 125-year-old structure.
The two-story brick building at the stoplight corner had been in crumbling disrepair, the property taxes had not been paid and the town council believed that eventually, it would be local government that would be responsible for razing the unsafe structure.
Indiana Historic Landmarks, a not-for-profit building preservation organization partnered with the town to acquire the structure to stabilize it and to market it for future business use.
Built in 1891 as the meeting place of the local International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge, over its life the structure has housed pharmacies, barber shops, retail business and the local library.
Here, brick mason Jesus Martinez of Keystone Restoration of New Albany does the tedious job of tuck pointing the brick joints of the building.