Smoke Detectors Save Family From July 3 Fire

Smoke detectors are credited with saving a southern Vernon Township family before their home was totally destroyed by fire early Thursday morning.

The Crothersville-Vernon Township Volunteer Fire Department was summoned to the home of Jeremiah and Cassondra Justice on County Road 925 South around 6:30 a.m. Thursday, July 3. The home is about a quarter mile north of State Road 256 in the Bethany neighborhood of southern Vernon Township.

“I knew it was going to be bad because I saw the smoke when I left my home (in Uniontown),” said local fire chief Lynn Howard. “It was fully engulfed when we arrived.”

“Smoke alarms woke the family up and when Jeremy investigated, he found the basement totally involved and got the family out to safety,” said the fire chief.

According to Jackson County Fire Dispatch, the fire had broken through the roof of the Justice home when the fire was reported.

The fire started in the basement, Howard said.

Jackson County Red Cross was on hand to assist the couple and their three children who lost everything in the blaze. Howard said the home was insured.

Firefighters from the local department were on the scene for over 8 hours. They were assisted by the Jennings Township VFD from Austin.