Heritage Haus To Close, Ends Affiliation With Hamacher Hall

Heritage Haus in Crothersville will be closing its doors this Saturday, March 28. The business, located at 209 East Howard Street will end the association of the Friends of Hamacher Hall and Crothersville Town Players.

Heritage Haus, located in the former First Presbyterian Church annex, was operated solely by volunteers in an effort to spur interest and to support the financial needs of two historical buildings located on Howard Street.

Marcia Fleetwood has managed activities since November 2004.

A final sale is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday March 28, in an effort to reduce inventory and fixtures.

Hamacher Hall, the former First Presbyterian Church of Crothersville, was built in 1885. It was renamed to honor Town Founder, John Hamacher when purchased by The Greater Crothersville Heritage Foundation.

According to Fleetwood, Hamacher, presided over several recruitment meetings to raise manpower for the Union Army’s Civil War efforts, during which, Hamacher called the “Son’s of Crothersville” to arms from the “stoop of the public meeting house.” The “meeting house” has been identified as the old public school building located at 209 East Howard Street. ”The first school in Crothersville was succeeded by a two-story brick building,” (The Presbyterian Manse-built circa 1858).

If anyone has donated items for the collections of Historical Memorabilia that they would like back, they would be welcomed to come the day of the sale to claim them. Items not picked up will be forwarded to Jackson County Historical Society. Fleetwood said.