Fires Damage Two Area Homes

The Crothersville-Vernon Township Volunteer Fire Department was called to two house fires within about eight hours early last week.
At 6:38 p.m. on Monday, May 3, firefighters were summoned to the Todd & Melissa Schurman residence at 10590 E. County Road 125 S. A fire of electrical origin in the kitchen caused an estimated $50,000 according to Fire Chief Charles Densford.
The department was assisted at the scene by the Jackson-Washington Township Fire Department.
After returning from the northen township location at 11:30 p.m., the local fire department was called out a short time later to the Wanda Hollin residence at 601 S. Bethany Road at 2:17 a.m. on Tuesday, May 4.
Densford said an open flame or a candle is believed to be the cause of the fire which started in a bedroom. Densford estimated the loss at $50,000.
Jennings Township VFD from Austin assisted in fighting the blaze. Fire Departments were on the scene a little over 3 1/2 hours.