Fire Damages Graham Home Thursday

The Crothersville-Vernon Township Volunteer Fire Department was called to the Rodney Graham home at 314 E. Walnut Street shortly after 3 p.m. last Thursday, April 9. When they arrived they found thick, black smoke coming from the basement windows of the residence with the basement fully engulfed.

Graham, the lone resident of the home, was first thought to be inside but was located several blocks away and not at home with the fire began.

The local firefighters were able to extinguish the flames however there was heavy damage to the basement and smoke damage throughout the residence.

The fire was believed to have been caused by a cigarette left burning on a mattress in the basement, officials reported.